Children can’t spend a day without playing their favourite games. For them, getting out of the house and enjoying with friends is customary. They don’t care about how severe the sun can get or how cold the winter breeze is, all they want to have is a fun-filled day. As a result, when it rains heavily or the sun is at its harshest best, children tend to get restless. Because for them, a day without playing is a day wasted! But what they don’t know is that indoor games can be fun, too. Just because they don’t get to play with their friends, does not mean that they can’t enjoy it.
Indoor games are a great way to bring parents and children together while making the most of their free time. Here are eight simple yet fun indoor games that you can play with your children.
- Pencil-and-paper games: These are the simplest yet learning games that you can play with your children. Games like tic-tac-toe, dots and boxes, mash, sprouts and battleship can prove to be very efficient when it comes to pass time and enhance skills. They are so good that your children are bound to get addictive and will request you to play them more often.
- Building blocks: If your children love Legos, they are going to love this game. It’s so simple that you don’t even need a fancy building set for this. Anything from popsicle sticks to playing cards, plastic blocks to cardboard boxes, is good to work with. To make things more competitive, add a little reward and see your children putting their hearts into it.
- Card games: Card games are not just for the adults or elderly. Children can play them too and have lots of fun. The trick is to teach them only those games which are good for their mental abilities. Like Go Fish, Crazy Eight, War, Old Maid, Snap and Slapjack to name a few. Card games can keep them occupied for hours and challenge their young minds.
- Puzzles: Puzzles may sound a little ‘tough on the mind for a game’ but they are so good and important when it comes to put those problem-solving muscles to good use. From board game puzzles to drawing a picture, there is so much you can do with this kind of games. Depending on how old your children are, you can choose from a handful of options. They are fun and good to test the analytical skills of your children.
- Freeze: Now this is one game that can really make parents and children dance together! Put on the song your children love, turn up the volume and ask them to dance until the music stops. And when it does, they have to freeze in whatever position they are. This can be very funny for all of you. Imagine when they have one leg up or both arms in the air. Define a specific time limit, like 30 seconds, to stay in the freeze pose. The game can be as much challenging as fun.
- Board games with family: Board games are a nice way to bring the family members together and give children something exciting to play with. There’s so much you can put on the table when it comes to board games. Depending on the preferences of your children, they can try their hands at, Zingo, Blokus, Carcassonne, Forbidden Island, Exploding Kittens, Dominion and Chess.
- Indoor hopscotch: Children love hopscotch. Be it in school or at home, hopscotch is their favourite game any time of the day. They love it so much that even playing it indoors will give them goosebumps. Choose a big and empty space in your house and draw the nine enchanting boxes. If you don’t know how to draw, take help from your children. It’s so much fun that even you can give it a try.
- Hide and seek: Now this is one game that children always look forward to. The act of hiding from the seeker or seeking the one hiding, fills them with excitement that does not go away easily. This is one certain game that can give them giggle fits. Children love to play it in the dark. If you have a big house, they will get more space to hide and hence draw more fun playing.
When your children play these games, with or without you, they will know how fun indoor games can be. Indoor games not only save their energy or save them from harsh weather, but can also keep them mentally alert. There is so much they can learn while having a great time playing them. Try out a few to know which ones they like the most and repeat them often.