Reading with your children has been widely prescribed by the fields of child development, psychology, linguistics and education to name a few. Benefits of reading are considered universal. Here is why you should include reading in your child’s routine.
- Reading to your child, even preschooler is a strong way to build and strengthen the parent-child relationship. It is the ideal time to bond and share wonderful tales.
- When your child looks at words and colorful pictures, it opens a window to a myriad of possibilities. Creativity is unleashed on hearing new stories and imagining up much more.
- Reading with your child is key to developing language skills. It helps build vocabulary, comprehension skills, language fluency, intonation and prosody.
- Reading is a great way to enhance communication and social skills. They observe interactions of charters and also learn how to express themselves better. Reading also helps inculcate empathy for different characters which translates into real life as well.
- Engaging with books and texts also help in developing cognitive skills. Children are exposed to different concepts, scenarios, judgment and logic. Books form a tryst with new ideas and exploration of why and how of things. Reading also aids attention and concentration in children.
- Reading a book or poem repeatedly is also found important for children as increased familiarity with a text helps children with word recognition, fluency in reading, better comprehension and confidence to read aloud.
- It is also an important medium to learn about the world around, the environment, cultures and also helps improve general knowledge.
Rendering to these numerous advantages, reading forms a foundation for future development, learning and academic excellence. And children who start reading early are also more likely to continue reading, as they grow older. So do introduce your children to this wonderful activity and you will surely benefit from the exercise too.
To know how to inculcate reading in your child, you can read our blog post here.